By Antonio Howell M.D. —
In 1998, over 6 million documents which were considered ‘top’ secret of the largest tobacco manufacturers in the US were revealed to the public. These documents consisted of research, faxes, memos, scientist notes, letters, etc. In 2002, the World Health Organization (WHO) published the very first edition of these documents compiled to bring more light to the public about cigarettes. And these documents confirm that tobacco manufacturers have been deceiving the public for a long time.
Here are the top 5 secrets of Tobacco makers:
5. The Psychology and Physiology of Smokers Turns out, tobacco manufacturers absolutely knew who to target and how to encourage them to smoke. The documents revealed the industry paid so much attention to racial character, age and sex, financial status, level of education, patterns of smoking and many other factors when creating a new cigarette brand, new strategy, promotional, and marketing tactics.
4. Tobacco manufacturers advertising targeted future smokers For years, tobacco manufacturers insisted that they did NOT advertise to lure people into smoking but mainly to encourage existing smokers to switch brands. They have also vigorously denied targeting young people in their advertisements. But their internal documents show otherwise, the real plan was to encourage the youth because smokers build up the habit during their teenage years.
3. In the 1970’s tobacco makers did research to increase a smokers’ addiction Phillip Morris added alkaline ammonia to cigarette to lower its acidity levels. The lower acidity changes the tobacco’s chemical structure which allows the nicotine to travel and reach the brain faster. Multiple studies also suggests other strategies to make cigarettes more addictive such as adding nicotine to both ends of the filter, adding compounds that speed up lung absorption of nicotine, and manipulating the blend of tobacco.
2. Tobacco makers knew the dangers Turns out that even during the 1970s, tobacco manufacturers have known or suspected that cigarette smoke caused cancer. In their own research, they determine the extent of health effects of tobacco but did not do anything about it. What’s worse is that they tried to conceal it from the public. The documents revealed how US-based tobacco manufacturers shipped those papers to offices in other countries so the US courts and plaintiffs will not be able to find them. They also closed the laboratories where the studies were held and fired the scientists involved in these studies.
1. The secret ingredient(s) The document shows that aside from the 4,000 chemicals found in tobacco products, manufacturers added more compounds to create a highly engineered product to hook more people into the habit of smoking. There are an additional 600 compounds which tobacco manufacturers have no plan of disclosing to the public even today.
Why are these documents important? They basically uncover the top secrets of tobacco manufacturers – the disgusting, unbelievable and shocking truth about the only addictive drug legal in the world.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR Dr Antonio Howell, MD is just a guy trying to make a difference in the world by helping people quit smoking. And you? Visit Help to Quit Smoking at http://drantoniohowell.com/ Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Antonio_Howell_M.D. http://EzineArticles.com/?Top-5-Secrets-Tobacco-Companies-DO-NOT-Want-You-to-Know&id=7263344